Founded on October 20th 1922, Tohatsu Corporation, then named Takata Motor Research Institute, manufactured railcars. R&D of high-speed, portable engine generators and radio controlled generators began immediately and were brought to production in 1930. During the1930's and 40's, Tohatsu consolidated its product line and moved its corporate office to Tokyo. In 1950, production and sales of motorcycles began.
1955 brought aggressive growth to Tohatsu. Capital increased to 150 million yen, production on a new line of engines started, sales offices were established in Fukuoka, Nagoya, Tokyo, Sendai and Sapporoand dealers were located throughout Japan.
1956 ushered in the production of Tohatsu Outboards (1.5 hp). Since then, Tohatsu outboards have capably served a variety of marketplaces; commercial fishing, marine transport, recreation and competition.